Hello and welcome to the West Boldon Maths curriculum page. Mathematics teaching and learning at West Boldon follow the key aims of the National Curriculum.
We aim to ensure that all pupils become fluent in the fundamentals of mathematics and in number so that pupils develop solid conceptual understanding and the ability to recall and apply knowledge rapidly and accurately. Children at West Boldon are taught to reason mathematically by following a line of enquiry, finding connections and establishing relationships whilst using mathematical language. Children are taught to solve problems by applying their mathematics to a variety of routine and non-routine problems with increasing sophistication, including breaking down problems into a series of simpler steps and persevering in seeking solutions.
Our aim is to ensure the children will:
- Become fluent in the fundamentals of mathematics.
- Develop conceptual understanding and the ability to recall and apply knowledge rapidly.
- Be able to reason and problem solve by applying mathematics to a variety of increasingly complex problems.
- Develop early number skills in EYFS.
- Build upon children’s knowledge and understanding from year 1 to year 6.
- Develop resilience that enables all children to reason and problem solve with increased confidence.
To achieve this we will:
- Ensure full topic coverage. The school uses White Rose Maths, which follows a mastery curriculum. This is a whole-school primary maths curriculum that creates continuity and progression in the teaching of mathematics.
- Teach daily maths lessons which include fluency, reasoning and problem solving.
- EYFS and Year 1 follow Power Maths, a maths mastery scheme that has been developed by White Rose Maths.
- Ensure lessons are differentiated where appropriate to ensure there is appropriate challenge for all learners.
- Use concrete manipulatives and pictorial representations to support conceptual understanding and to make links across topics.
- Teach daily Core Maths lessons, which ensure key skills, reasoning and problem solving are embedded in teaching and learning.
- Teach daily arithmetic lessons, which ensure key skills are taught.
- EYFS use Numberblocks to enhance their arithmetic sessions and embed early number.
- Use the online learning platforms TTRockstars, Numbots and Maths Shed to support key skills for home learning activities and also during the school day.
- Assess children on a termly basis.
The impact of these intentions will be:
- Most children reach end of year expectations.
- Children’s progress is tracked on Otrack.
- Well planned sequences of learning support children to develop and refine their maths skills.
- Children are able to independently apply their knowledge to a range of increasingly complex problems.
- Children are reasoning with increased confidence and accuracy.
Adaptations due to COVID-19
Due to the loss of education experienced by many pupils there is a catch-up programme in place at West Boldon. Years 1-6 are following the White Rose Maths Recap curriculum, which will continue throughout the 2020-2021 academic year. This Recap programme has been specially designed to return to previous years learning to build on skills before teaching the current year objectives. Staff has assessed where children are in their learning and revisiting basic maths skills where necessary. West Boldon are participating in the National Tutoring Programme, which enables tailored one-to-one tuition to targeted pupils in Maths.
Our Subject Ambassadors are chosen children who are experts in Maths, or children who have a real passion for the subject. Our Subject Ambassadors for Maths 2021/22 are:
Year 6: Reece & Manmeet
Year 5: Bubacarr & Isla
Year 4: Jayden & Charley D
Year 3: Reece & Danny
Year 2: Caison, Tylor H & Elik
Year 1: Shay & Sonny
Find out more about Subject Ambassadors by clicking here.
Take a look at our Maths Curriculum documents by clicking the links below.
Maths Intent, Implementation, Impact
Maths Skills Ladder (Years 2-6)
Skills Ladder (Year 1 and Rec)
Maths Long Term Plan Year 2-6
Take a look at our learning…
Click the links below to see what we’ve been learning about in Maths in each year group.